Thursday 22 July 2010

Going Home

The Scotland Trip has been very excellently documented by Mr. Bungle and there is not much that I can add except to say that I did not do much waiting for anybody . It was great fun on and off the bikes. When we reached Dumbarton I had to split from the guys as I was heading to Dumfries to visit my brother. We headed over the Erskine Bridge and I got on the M8 to head for the coast and get onto the A76 to Dumfries. The sky was black and it appeared that I would be able to skirt the storm , or I would if I hadn't took the wrong turn that was taking me right into it! All of a sudden the visibility was down to 20 Meters and the motorway was inches deep in water. The cars were making bigger bowwaves than the ferry had! I looked for the next exit and managed to get turned in the right direction but the delay meant that instead of skirting the edge of the storm I would be in and out of the front all the way to Dumfries. Hey Ho, thats the way it goes sometimes. I dont mind riding in the rain but the wind was really bad at times and that can be scary.
I had meant to get onto the A737 but had turned onto the Westbound side of the M8 and after I had got onto the Eastbound carriageway I had to ride in that freakish wind and rain back to where I wanted to be. On the A737 down to Irvine I could get the speed back up a bit and even enjoyed the road. It is pretty damn good in the dry. Some of the idiot car drivers were driving along in the spray off the vehicles in front with no lights on . Apart from the spray it really was pretty dark. Irvine to Kilmarnock was fairly dry but as it is dual cabbageway there was no shelter from the bloody wind and as Mr.Bungle said when you are leaning over to go in a straight line it kinda puts a dent in your fun!
From Kilmarnock to Dumfries was great as always as it is fairly sheltered and once again I was out of the rain. I really got the hammer down and enjoyed this fantastic road. I got to my brothers house where he showed me his new Arai and his wifes new Flip front helmet with built in sun visor. The Box was really smart but the Arai was just really special. (Green with envy) He then showed me the route he has planned for his two week motorbike holiday in the alps and Lake Maggiorre in Italy. (Positively bloody Green with envy) . After spending some time with him and his wife I headed back to Workington. On getting to the outskirts of Carlisle the wind was not trying to push me sideways, instead it was trying to lift my helmet off and I can say that last 35 mileswas the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had!
It was still the best fun you can have with your clothes on and I would travel anywhere with this bunch! Can't wait to get over to the North East to see what the roads are like over that way.

3 comments:

Geoff James said...

Really enjoyed the ride reports from you guys. In the 26 years I lived in the UK, I'm embarrassed to admit that I only visited Scotland twice and both times, I flew there!

Mr Bungle said...

Great write up Mr. Broth.
The wind was bloody horrible, especially with the Blackbird having such a big side profile.
Will be in touch shortly about a ride out......

Anonymous said...

nice report mr broth see ya soon