Sunday 7 February 2010

Kinky wheels




When I bought my Blackbird back in September '08 it had black wheels, and while I thought the bike looked great the combination of Purple/Silver paintwork and Yellow decals with Black wheels didn't really make sense but that's what it was.
It was when I was chatting to the original owner, the guy who had the bike painted, and he said to me "I see you have painted the wheels Black, they were Yellow when I had the paintwork done"
So, a plan was put into place, I didn't want to send them off to a powder coaters in case the colour was shite, so I decided to give it a go myself. There are plenty of "how to" guides on-line and I felt confident enough to give it a go. I bought the gear, and set to. With the front wheel sanded down and the primer applied I was starting to feel a little nervous, but when the 6 coats of MG Yellow were added I felt a little better. All that remained was to apply 4 coats of clear lacquer and the wheel was done, and I was really pleased with the results.

I popped the wheel on the bike, stood back to admire the results and set about attacking the rear wheel. With both done I must say I reckon the bike looks great and really brings out the Purple. I get one or two comments from the guys I ride with "Oh my god! It's a council gritter" yeah, thanks for that Zippy.
Please feel free to comment.



Bungle






2 comments:

Papa Phallus said...

Like zippy said council gritter. No it looks lovely more sporty which is good because you normaly see blackbirds 'toured up' but yours has the sporty appeal it is afterall a 'super blackbird' good job!

Mr Bungle said...

Aww thanks love.....