Monday 11 October 2010

The Times They Are A Changing



Oh Dear!

Well..........Hello peeps.....I know, I know it's been ages since I last posted. A few explanations are in order me thinks............Starting with..........



I have been dreading posting that little link, but there you go.

I have been getting more and more frustrated with biking life over the past 18 months. I have tried and tried to keep things fresh and involve the guys in this blog and in runs and weekend trips. But the problem is that apart from those very weekends away not a lot gets done. I started this blog to encourage the guys to become more proactive and to come up with ideas for further adventures and such like.
I think it all started to go wrong when K.G (Remember him?) chucked in the towel due to a biking injury and he was soon followed by H-Boss who had to sell his bike to try and bail out his failing business. Now, I'm not knocking these guys for doing that, of course, after all there are far more important things in life than biking, and I am assured that both will be back with a bang next year.
It was K.G who organised the trips and the days out and would not take no for an answer, whereas I just don't have the balls to shout at people and make people feel guilty like K.G used to (He truly is great at that).
As far as the rest of the guys go, I think I am closest to Zippy, in terms of riding and in terms of family life (we took our tests together and supported each other every step of the way) but Zippy rarely reads this blog, unless he is told about a particular article.
Fruit'n'Barley is pretty much the same and is a very infrequent visitor. Papa Phallus, on the other hand, has been a star. He supports everything we try and do and regularly comments and posts on the blog. Also outside of the blog he is very generous in loaning me garage space for my(?) Blackbird.
I am not trying to knock people or apportion blame for my current state of mind, I was sort of hoping that our Scotland trip would re-ignite fires in us but in all honesty since then I have been on one short blast to Whitby and back, and poor Zippy has not been out at all.
One of the real positives to come out of Scotland was meeting Scotch Broth, I have said it before but he really taught us all a lot and I know my riding is better for it. He is really keen to post on this blog and does so very well, and I hope he continues to do so, and but for a huge amount of lethargy on our part we would (and should) have joined him on his recent trips over to our side of the country. Sorry dude.
Now, before I took up motorcycling I used to do a fair bit of mountain biking and I must be frank and say that nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to the exhilaration of flying down a sketchy trail on a mountain bike. I stopped mountain biking about 5 years ago, mainly because the job I do was at that time stupidly time consuming and I got very little time off, so the expensive mountain bike had to go. fast forward 2 years and work had calmed down but I didn't think I had it in me to go back to mountain biking so I chose a different path and took up motorcycling. But, fast forward again another 3 years and my youngest son (nippage) buys himself a mountain bike and I promise him that I would buy another bike and show him the ropes. Well, what can I say. It all came back to me within a couple of rides and it was fantastic. I was out riding with both of my sons (we have been out over a dozen times now) getting a little fitter and healthier each ride and just enjoying time spent with my two lads.
So, if the Blackbird sells, (I have had a bit of interest) I think I will be taking a year out of biking and coming back fresh and fired up next year with the rest of the guys. I think Zippy is thinking along the same lines and, in fact, he is already sans bike.
I will continue to post on the blog and keep you informed on what is going on and when I have my new GSXR750 (whoops, let the cat out of the bag there) I will let you all know.....

Sorry for the miserable post

Bungle


4 comments:

Canajun said...

When it's no longer fun you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
Enjoy your time off. And if you do come back it will be better because it is for the right reason.
Cheers.

Mr Bungle said...

Thanks, it's nice when someone understands, i've been getting some grief over this....

Geoff James said...

Oh dear indeed Pete!

Very sad to see the 'bird go Pete, but as Canajun said, if you're not enjoying it, time for a break.

My treasured riding partners are scattered about 200 km apart and with other interests and family commitments, it's really hard to get everyone together. We make sure that we get one long weekend away together each year, but two or three other times, two or possibly 3 of us get out for a day ride. The rest of the time, I ride on my own. It's a different kind of enjoyment to a ride with trusted friends, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Great proposed choice in a Gixxer 750. Regarded by many as the most complete sports bike on the market.

Take care and just make sure you post from time to time and make sure that Scotch Broth does too!

Scotch Broth said...

As has already been said itcan sometimes feel like you are pushing uphill and it takes the fun out of it.Spending time with your family is far more important than biking. Pressures of life can limit opportunities and if you are the one who is doing all the running around and encouraging everyone else it can make you feel low sometimes. I hope you will come back to biking as I would like to get some more riding with you.You are a top bloke and when you get your Gixzer I'm sure you will rekindle your love of biking. I hope you dont mind if I continue to post here. All the best dude and keep in touch!